Due to high winds mixed with rain today’s ride has been postponed to next Saturday May 25th. I was going to cancel it but hate admitting that any weather would stop me from riding.
So I leave it to you ‘weather’ you will ride or not.
Reminds me of this story I have posted before. There was this dedicated roadie who was determined to cycle in any weather, if a ride was scheduled he was there. One Saturday morning he crawled out of bed, looked out the window and saw the wind was howling with huge rain drops going sideways past the window. Determined he quietly got dressed tiptoed through the house carrying his shoes so he didn’t wake his wife. Once in the garage he checked his tire pressures, lubed the chain and took his bike down from the rack. When he opened the garage door he saw that the sky was churning above him, the wind had increased and due to the rain had trouble seeing down the street. So he did the only sensible thing, he closed the garage door, put the bike back on the rack, quietly made his way back to his warm bed. As he slowly climbed into bed he reached over held his wife and said to her, you wouldn’t believe the weather out there, I have never seen such wind mixed with rain.” Without opening her eyes she murmured, “and to think my idiot husband is out riding his bike in that weather”.
Hey there roadies,
It’s time for planning the annual brunch ride and this year it will also be my farewell ride. We’ve bought a house in Winnipeg and will be moving between June 15 and July 1. So, I’d like to propose that we brunch at my place on Saturday, June 8th after the ride. The present schedule is for the ride to be New Bothwell at 8:00 AM. I think we could just stick with that and plan to arrive back at my place by 10:00 AM. If you can’t make the ride, come for the brunch anyways. Just send me an e-mail or something. Partners, riding or not, also invited. You know the routine. Please post your yeas and nays below!
Meeting at 8 am at the water tower we heard more sounds than just the wind whistling thru the trees. Every rider that showed up had the same word uttered from their lips, “crap”. The response was due to the fact that others showed up to ride the “Manitoba mountain” or 36 km winds.
I think we all felt that nobody would show up due to the cold winds that came out of the north-west. We felt obligated in some way to at least say we showed up, then with nobody else there we could return home to a warm breakfast and the weekend paper.
With 6 riders we battled the winds and worked the side winds and head on. I am always grateful when riding in a draft. Breakfast at what was Schellenberg was great and the conversation better.
Thanks for the ride!
With Saturday, April 27 weather forecast set to be above 10 degrees C by 11 am along with bright sunshine it will be back to the skinny bike again to ride the 40 km Kleefeld loop. The stop could include variety of foods like a late breakfast, apple pie, huge cinnamon bun or the standard waffle with accessories. But without a doubt it will include great Java along with plenty of stories (some true), discussion on human rights, solve a couple of world issues along with good deal of laughter.
Leave time is 11 am, next week (which is May already) move to 9 am leave time.
Remember to bring your helmet, unless you have religious headgear we will insist upon you wearing a helmet. I wonder if one could buy religious headgear that is CSA approved for bike riding?